WHO WE ARE
Orama Oasis is a dynamic, diverse Christian community based on Great Barrier Island with a vibrant history of restoring and equipping people for life’s journey. Every year more than 2500 visitors come to enjoy a holiday adventure, a spiritual retreat or a training school at Orama.
- We hold the tension of diversity amidst a disposition to love - God, each-other, our neighbours - all who come to our door.
- We welcome all, offer generous hospitality, stand and journey with the needy and marginalised.
- We hope that all who stay at Orama encounter God in some way.
- We are committed to living sustainably and in harmony with each other, the earth and the natural environment and minimising the impact we make.
Caring – transforming – equipping: to express an authentic Christianity through community – impacting people’s lives by sharing hospitality that welcomes all, renewing spiritual, emotional and physical well-being, and equipping people to impact and lead their communities.
WHAT’S DIFFERENT ABOUT US
Orama Oasis is a living, functioning, inter-denominational Christian community, observing aspects of worship, prayer, teaching and ministry through a rhythm of Sunday worship and mid-week fellowship, daily devotions and pastoral care. Community members, guests, visitors and neighbours are all welcome to take part in this life of discovery.
Orama is Greek for vision – a place where individuals, families, churches and school groups come to relax, rest, refocus, and recharge.
Orama Oasis is governed by the Orama Christian Trust a registered charitable trust. We warmly welcome your interest and support.
OUR COMMUNITY RHYTHM
Orama's own community rhythm is built around the following activities:
- each day at 8:00am a small number gather for contemplative prayer in the chapel. Guests are welcome to join us.
- we gather for morning tea and a brief devotion each week day at 10.30am in the dining room. Again guests are welcome to join us.
- we eat meals together with our guests and visitors each week day in the dining room with lunch at 1:30pm and dinner at 6:00pm.
- our shared fellowship and worship takes place on Wednesday evening - usually upstairs in the lounge and sometimes in one of the staff houses. Leadership of content and theme is shared in rotation between the Orama Community members. Guests are welcome to join us, please ask for details of where and when.
- we connect to the wider community with Neighbours Night every Thursday at 6:00pm - an open invitation to all our friends and neighbours to come and share dinner with us in the dining room.
- our all-comers community choir meets on the first and third Thursday of each month (after neighbours night dinner) at 7:30pm upstairs in the lounge. Guests and neighbours are welcome to join in and have fun singing a mix of Christian and secular songs.
- once a month we have a Sunday morning church service followed by soup and bread rolls - a time of worship, prayer and reflection upstairs in the lounge. Guests are welcome to join us, please be aware of the atmosphere and share the silence.